Thursday, October 30, 2014

Sensitivity

I am so sensitive to gluten that I cannot even touch it.  When I was first diagnosed I didn't know how serious my allergy was.  I was still making two meals, one for me and one for the rest of my family.  One day, about a month after my diagnosis, I made regular bread for my family and when my husband came home he exclaimed "what happened to you!"  My face was all red and bumpy...as it had been so much in the past, but after being gluten free for even a short while it had cleared up.  Apparently I couldn't make bread anymore.  

At that point my friends had a "Gluten Party" for me where they all brought a gluten free item for my pantry and in return I gave away all my food that contained gluten.  Now mind you, I grew up in a rural town in Hawaii so when we went to the store we would stock up. That has stuck with me into adulthood so I had enough food in my pantry to feed my family for probably a year if we were careful!

Over the course of yet another year we figured out that I couldn't even walk on it.  My sister-in-law's house still had goldfish crumbs all over the floor (as did mine before we got rid of all the gluten in the house) and after taking my shoes off, being in their house, but not eating anything, I would still get sick.  So eventually I tried leaving my shoes on, or bringing a house pair, I still didn't eat anything, and low and behold...I didn't get sick!  We tested it several more times after that, sometimes I'd leave my shoes on, other times I'd take them off.  I got sick every time I didn't wear my shoes! That's when I fully realized I couldn't even touch it!

No comments:

Post a Comment